Monday, June 29, 2009

Lunch Makeover

I used to be really good about bringing my lunch to work. I'd pack my little bag with a Lean Cuisine meal, yogurt, some fruit, and I was good. I'd occasionally go out to lunch with friends, but would always get back on track with bringing my lunch. In the last year or so, I have completely fallen off the wagon. I have been going out to lunch every day.

It's easy to see how it happened. I got sick of Lean Cuisine meals (no shock there). Then I started bringing these wrap sandwiches. Got sick of those too. But now I'm really sick of eating out. I live and work in a small town, so it's not like there are many tempting, delicious optiongs. It's expensive, and I'd rather spend my money shopping than on the same crappy restaurant meals. And it certainly isn't healthy.

Because it's summer, I've been in the mood for salads. So I stocked up on spinach and a bunch of veggies and decide to bring salads. Today was day 1: I just feasted on a bowl of spinach, red and orange peppers, cucumbers, carrots, strawberries, walnuts and dried cranberries. It was delicious. Now I just have to figure out a way to mix it up so I don't get sick of salads too . . .

Running: ran an easy three miler this morning. I have a track workout on the scheduled for tonight -- 3 to 5 1200's. It is much cooler here than last Monday, so I'm looking forward to a better speed workout.

15 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

love salads, especially during the summer. :) Yum

Anonymous said...

That spinach salad sounds much better than the broccoli slaw I had (again).

Running Through Life said...

I have the same issues with bringing lunch versus eating out. It is easy to get sucked into eating out. I try to bring my lunch on most days and when I do go out, I opt for a soup or something lighter and healthier.

I wish you luck with sticking with it, it's not easy!

Aron said...

i bring salads to work everyday!!! Just finished eating mine :) I think adding a diff ingredient every day helps.

Marlene said...

That's my problem with lunches too. I get sick of the same old thing and I tend to be a creature of habit so I continue to make the same things until I can't stand it and go out.

Good for you gettin gback on the wagon with a yummy summer salad!

Carly said...

I am with you on the getting sick of going out. I love salads too...but unfortunately I am not very creative with them.

Erika said...

I live on salads. I have one almost every night for dinner. Just change out the type of greens, add different dried fruits and a little bit of different strong flavored cheeses and it'll taste different every day.

MCM Mama

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

ooh I fall off the healthy lunch wagon allll the time. Guess it doesn't help that I work in a restaurant with tons of fried food :( those salads sound yummy!

Anonymous said...

I go in phases with lunch too. I get bored with bringing the same thing everyday. I pretty much use the same rotations of sandwiches.

X-Country2 said...

I fell in love with spinach this year, and I've been making salad like a crazy lady. So good!

RunMommyRun said...

I am soooo bad about packing a lunch for work. Something about being downtown and all those options. Yikes...my savings account is seriously pissed at me!

I overdid the Lean Cuisine meals too, back in the day, LOL.

I Run for Fun said...

I hear you on getting sick of the same boring lunch everyday. When I am on the verge of that, I eat out for a week or so. Hope the salads do the trick.

Ali said...

I bring different things to add, like hummus, corn and beans, avocado, chilli and a little grated cheese makes a great nacho salad without the nachos :(, tuna and green beans, leftovers. I throw whatever I have in the fridge on top of my regular salad to spice it up.

M2Marathon said...

ZOMG I have endless salad combos if you ever get bored! Also, I have found the Amy's gourmet frozen meals to be quite delicious and healthy. I have not had a bad one yet, and there are quite a few dishes, if you can find a place that stocks them (my local grocery does--it's a Kroger offshoot--but this is CO and everyone here eats all ridiculous healthy so I don't think that's normal for all grocery stores. I'm sure whole foods has them and quite possibly SuperTarget as they seem to have a lot of organics too..but again, not sure if that is just here in CO? Ok, now my parenthetical remark is longer than my actualy remark. It's monday. After a holidya. What can I say? End parenthesis.

M2Marathon said...

And PS: I can't spell/type today.