Thursday, December 10, 2009

Return of the AM Runs

For the past four years, my running partner Jim and I have run early every morning before work - an easy 3 miler just to get moving. I do my long runs, tempo runs and speedwork on the weekend or evenings after work. But since last spring, the morning runs haven't happened. My child does not really believe in sleep. During the spring and summer, she took this to a whole new level - up several times a night, and then awake for the day at about 5:30 in the morning. But lately, she's been sleeping better. I hate to even say it, but for the last week, she has slept all night long and I have had to wake her up at 7:45 to get ready for daycare.

On Tuesday, I saw Jim at the courthouse. We had the following conversation:

Me: "I need to start running the mornings again. I feel all twitchy. Sophie's sleeping better. Let's start up again tomorrow."

Jim: "Okay that sounds great. But you know it's supposed to be kind of cold tomorrow."

Me: "I don't care if there's eight feet of snow and it's 20 below, we're running in the morning."

Jim: "Um, okay."

Wednesday morning, I was up bright and early and piled on all the layers. I looked at the temps: 3 below with 15 below windshill. Jim and I sort of have a rule - below zero, not so fun to run in the dark. At this point I knew the run probably wasn't going to happen. But I stood there in my hat, mittens and orange traffic vest for about 15 minutes waiting. I could have gone out to run by myself but running in my middle of nowhere neighborhood in the dark is a bad idea.

This morning was even colder. I hear that it's supposed to warm up tomorrow. Hopefully the true return to morning running will happen then.

10 comments:

Erika said...

BRRR! I can't imagine running when it's below zero.

MCM Mama

Ali said...

I would be Jim in this story!

Sarah said...

Yikes! It is even colder by your! I usually don't run outside if it is colder than 20...I am such a sissy. :)

X-Country2 said...

I hope it gets warmer for you. SOunds like you're ready.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

gah! winter arrived in full force here too... above normal Nov, then dec arrives with snow and cold. :( Hope it warms up a bit for you and Jim!! Awesome that she's sleeping better though!!

Marlene said...

BRR! Not the best day to start your morning runs again. Hopefully Mother Nature will cooperate next time.

Katie A. said...

I have a conffession to make: I got home yesterday, got dressed in my running tights, long-sleeve tech, jacket, gloves, ear warmer headband and all the other running junk, got outside, ran down the street and came back. It was too darn cold. And by cold, I think it was 40 out! My feet hurt from being cold and 6 miles of that sounded like garbage!
So I went in, changed into shorts and a tech t-shirt, but on a sweatshirt and went to the gym!
I am bad! I do not do cold (which I am sure you gathered from my Sunday post!). You are a better woman than me! This Cali girl would die on the East Coast or Mid-West! Hahaha!
Hope you can get out there tomorrow! Have a good Friday! :)

Felice Devine said...

Hope you can get in some real morning runs. I understand the not wanting to run in the dark. That's more the issue for me, too.

joyRuN said...

I can NOT get out of my warm bed when it gets this cold!

RunMommyRun said...

God, I wish I lived near you. I want so badly to become a morning runner, but I have no one to hold me accountable....so I press snooze for 30 minutes instead.