Sunday, January 25, 2009

And the training starts . . .

Probably tomorrow. This week is the first week of my FIRST training schedule for the Green Bay Marathon (May 17th). The schedule calls for three runs a week -- a speed workout, a mid-distance tempo type workout, and the beloved long run. I cannot just run three days a week, so I will be keeping up with my early morning three milers and using them as recovery type runs. But no running today - we're back to the sub-zero temps and crazy ass windchills, so I'm hanging out in the house with Jillian Michaels. (For all you co-30 Day Shredders out there, I think I'm going to move up to level 3 tonight . . . I'm nervous!)

I had planned on running the Winter Carnival Half Marathon in St. Paul yesterday, but on Friday they announced that they were going to cut it to a quarter marathon because of the weather conditions. Drive 70 miles to pay $35 to run 6 miles? Even for my math-dumb brain, those numbers just don't make sense.

Hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the weekend!

10 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

good luck with the new training plan! i bet if you would have run the messed-up-math-run yesterday, your water bottles would have frozen too! LOL Let us know what level 3 is like...haven't gone to level 2 yet...

BeachRunner said...

Good luck with the new training plan. A new plan and the marathon. Nice. That is exciting and super cool all in one.

Anonymous said...

I used FIRST for my last two marathons. It really made me significantly faster...but it also robbed me of my will to live. It is challenging, and left me fairly exhausted for months on end but I'm still glad I did it. And if you can handle Jillian, you can handle ANYTHING!

Good luck with it.

Run Mommy said...

My marathon is the following weekend so we can train together (electronically anyway...)! I don't blame you on the run. I too bailed on the outdoor run today (at this rate my Sunday run may turn into my Monday run). :)

Marlene said...

Wishing you the best as you begin your training. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Sarah said...

Good luck with your training! I am looking forward to reading about it!

I Run for Fun said...

Good luck with the training! A word of caution, if I may...you probably already know this...please be careful with the pace on those speed workouts. FIRST can be very challenging / tricky. I tried it when I first started marathon training and got injured. I read a lot about it on Runners World and in other places and realized it is not recommended for first time marathoners, only for those who already have a high base mileage.

MCM Mama said...

BRRR!!!

Good luck with the new training plan!

Laurel said...

LOL! I agree on the "Quarter Marathon". Not worth the drive, especially with that weather!

Good luck on the training!

Marcy said...

Good luck with FIRST, chica ;D